YU Torah Mitzion Kollel
Job Description – Director of Development
Position Availability: August 1, 2024
About YU Kollel Torah Mitzion of Chicago
The Yeshiva University Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago is a dynamic organization dedicated to Torah learning. Led by Rosh Kollel Rabbi Reuven Brand and dedicated lay leaders, the Kollel offers dozens of learning opportunities for men, women and children – shiurim, chavrutot and more – in a wide variety of settings, from our NILI program by and for women to the Beit Midrash and day schools, the Illinois Holocaust Museum and shuls throughout the Chicago area. Learn more at torahchicago.org.
The YUTMK has a budget of approximately $1.3 million, and through the generosity of our donors and community, the Kollel continues to grow, as does our annual budget, which is entirely community supported (we have no membership or tuition revenue).
About the Role
YUTMK seeks a dynamic and experienced development leader who will ensure the financial health and growth of the Kollel to support its mission of nurturing the spiritual growth of the Chicago Jewish community. Our Director of Development will manage relationships with our deep portfolio of donors, and work with our lay and professional team to expand our donor base.The Director of Development reports jointly to the President of the Board of Directors and Rosh Kollel, and partners closely with the Development Committee in fund-raising activities.
The primary responsibility of this role is fundraising, which includes but is not limited to:
- The creation and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising strategy, including annual campaign, crowdfunding, events, grants, sponsorships and other giving opportunities.
- Cultivating and nurturing relationships with current and future donors, and expanding the donor pool.
- Ensuring the currency, accuracy and availability of data in the Kollel’s fundraising database.
- Identifying, creating and implementing new giving opportunities for small and large gifts, including program sponsorships.
- Partnering with and stewarding Rosh Kollel and lay leadership participation in fundraising activities.
- Serving as an ambassador of the Kollel to the community.
The Director of Development’s job performance will be measured on the basis of the Kollel’s increased fundraising and growth in our donor base. The Director of Development will have no administrative responsibilities beyond duties related to fundraising, though as in any small organization, we appreciate a “how can I help?” attitude to keep the organization moving forward efficiently. At this time we do not anticipate the Director of Development will have any full-time direct reports.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience as a professional fundraiser, including making asks for significant contributions.
- Superior communication, relationship-building and computer skills, and be an outgoing person who is capable of working in a fast-paced, collaborative and entrepreneurial environment.
- Affiliation with and knowledge of Orthodox Judaism, which we believe are critical to the successful candidate’s success. Chicago Jewish community experience a plus, as is experience in non-profit community-based organizations.
Salary and Benefits
The Yeshiva University Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago offers a compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. This role is eligible for a six-figure base salary and generous annual milestone-based incentive payment, with specific objective criteria designed to reward the Director of Development’s performance.
All resumes should be sent to [email protected].